Tuesday, November 24, 2009

Xie vows to stand by her man in retirement

SHANGHAI: After competing alongside her star boyfriend, Lin Dan, on the badminton court, China's former women's singles world No 1 Xie Xingfang has decided to support her sweetheart in another way in retirement - by getting behind him.

"In retirement I want to live a real ordinary life I want to be the woman that cooks soup for Lin," said the 28-year-old Xie, who officially announced her retirement on Sunday.

"When both of us were athletes, he always took time to watch my matches and made suggestions.

"Now that I am retired, he can focus on his own play."
On the final day of the China Open on Sunday in Shanghai, the Chinese badminton national team held a farewell ceremony for Xie and women's doubles player Zhao Tingting, marking the official retirement of the two world champions.

Less than two hours later, Lin beat Jan Jorgensen of Denmark to defend his men's singles title. That was his fourth title at the tournament, making him the most successful player in the event's history.

Xie did not compete at the event where she won the women's singles title in 2004. However, she was in the stands cheering for Lin throughout the tournament.

Xie appears comfortable leaving the game she took up at the age of seven.

"It took a long time for me to make the retirement decision. So when it came, I did not feel emotional."

She is now looking forward to life after retirement.

"Now Lin Dan's job is to earn money and I am responsible for spending it," Xie said.

"I have tried different cuisine while competing around the world and I have always wanted to learn cooking.

"Continuing to study has always been my dream as well and the most important thing is to learn English.

"Lin also wants to learn English but he won't have much time to study before the London Games. So, I want to learn first and be his interpreter."

The Xie-Lin romance came to light at the 2004 Thomas Cup when the media caught them kissing.

Since then they have become comfortable with the attention on and off the court. They have appeared courtside at each other's matches and have posed together for fashion magazines. At the 2007 All-England Open, where both claimed the singles titles, Lin presented Xie with a bunch of roses and a kiss at the awards ceremony.

Lin, the undisputed king of the men's badminton, said he understood his girlfriend's decision.

"Now, the most important thing for Xie is to start her second stage of life," Lin said. "We should give her some time to decide what she wants to do..

"As her teammate and boyfriend I am very happy that there are lots of people to support her. I also hope her fans will support her like before."

People close to the couple expect to hear wedding bells soon but the pair has declined to comment on that matter.

Although declaring she has no set plans in retirement, Xie, a Guangdong native, has joined the Guangzhou Asian Games organizing committee. She also said she might consider playing in the Chinese Badminton League.

"I have a deep love of sports, so I may continue to support sports in retirement," Xie said.

Her contribution to badminton was praised by her coach.

"I didn't want her to retire as she is still such a good player but I can understand her choice as she is about to turn to 30," said Li Yongbo, head coach of the Chinese national team. "I hope she does well in the future and I will always support her and give her help when she needs it."

No comments:

Post a Comment