Tuesday, October 13, 2009

Hafiz looks good for first-ever title on local circuit

PETALING JAYA: Coming under the wings of coach Hendrawan has done good to shuttler Mohd Hafiz Hashim.

The former All-England champion Hafiz took the advice of the Indonesian to compete in the Terengganu Open despite being under the weather and he now looks good to win his first-ever title on the national circuit.

Hafiz showed his determination to get the monkey off his back on the circuit when he steamrolled Syamsul Rizalman Mohd of Terengganu 21-6, 21-8 yesterday to check into the quarter-finals. He will play against Kuan Kam Chung for a place in the semi-finals of the second-leg tournament of the national circuit.

Hafiz said that he almost withdrew from the tournament after his nose bled during a training session last Thursday.

“I was taken ill two days before Hari Raya and came back to train last week. But my nose bled and I was left breathless. This is the worst bout of viral fever that I have had,” he said.

“I would have skipped the tournament if not for Hendrawan. He asked me to take some time to recover and not give up the opportunity to play in the tournament. Fortunately, I got better by the day.”

Hafiz added that he enjoyed spending time discussing about badminton with Hendrawan.

“His approach is quite different. We share a lot about badminton and that has helped me to re-ignite the love I have for the sport. I am able to be open to him,” he said.

“Overall, my fitness has improved under him. He always encourages me and that really helps.”

Hafiz now has a golden opportunity to nail a local circuit title in the absence of world No. 1 Lee Chong Wei.

“Chong Wei has been dominating the local circuit for the last seven years. I have not won a domestic Open tournament since 1999. In his absence, I will make the best of the opportunity,” he said.

Another senior Kuan Beng Hong, who is also under the charge of Hendrawan, also made it to the quarter-finals, beating Lim Fang Yang 21-8, 21-13 to set up a match against Mohd Syawal Ismail.

The other two quarter-final matches pit Liew Daren against Mohd Arif Abdul Latif and Tan Chun Seang against Chan Kwong Beng.

1 comment: